Other tutorials for leaders/facilitators
Below are the beginnings of a list of online tutorials on miscellaneous topics useful to leaders/facilitators of autistic peer-led groups.
Tutorials on other topics will be added later.
History of autism and the autistic community
How history forgot the woman who defined autism by Lina Zeldovich, Spectrum News, 7 November 2018. "Grunya Sukhareva characterized autism nearly two decades before Austrian doctors Leo Kanner and Hans Asperger. So why did the latter get all the credit?" (See also Tribute to Grunya Efimovna Sukhareva, the Woman who First Described Infantile Autism, by Annio Posar and Paola Visconti J Pediatr Neurosci. 2017 Jul-Sep; 12(3): 300-301.)
Autism Network International: The Development of a Community and its Culture by Jim Sinclair, January 2005. (See also Don't Mourn for Us, an outline of the presentation Jim Sinclair gave at the 1993 International Conference on Autism in Toronto.)
- Meet Judy Singer a NeuroDiversity Pioneer: An Interview with the Australian Sociologist who coined the term 'Neurodiversity', Spectrum Suite.
- In conversation with Judy Singer..., Autism Awareness Australia, 10 Mar 2020.
- What is Neurodiversity? by Judy Singer on her blog.
- Neurodiversity: Some Basic Terms and Definitions by Nick Walker, 2014.
The "Ransom Notes" Affair: When the Neurodiversity Movement Came of Age by Joseph F. Kras, Disability Studies Quarterly, Vol 30, No 1 (2010). (See also Victory! The End of the Ransom Notes Campaign by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, December 19, 2007.) Note: This success was due mainly to the support of the larger disability rights movement.
The errors - and revelations - in two major new books about autism y Ari Ne'eman, Vox, Jan 21, 2016. Review of NeuroTribes by Steve Silberman and In a Different Key by Caren Zucker and John Donvan.
How to write a press release
There are lots of tutorials on the web about press releases, with somewhat different takes.
First, here's a general tutorial on press releases by a very experienced PR consultant:
- How to Write a Press Release Reporters Will Actually Read by Josh Weiss May 24, 2021.
Note that he voices some opinions about formatting that are a bit different from many of the other tutorials on this page, such as the relative position of the end marker (e.g. "###") and the contact info at the end.
Below are some tutorials on press releases for nonprofit organizations, wpecifically:
- Press Releases for Nonprofits: Information and Sample Releases (PDF) by Joanne Fritz, Massachusetts Nonprofit Center.
- Write a Press Release for Your Nonprofit, The Modern Nonprofit, September 11, 2018.
- Non Profit Press Release: Why You Should Write One and How to Do It - Galaxy Digital.
- How to Write a Non-Profit Press Release by the Berkeley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs.
- How to Write a Nonprofit Press Release by Ilma Ibrisevic, donorbox, 01.01.2018.
- How to Write and Distribute a Nonprofit Press Release by Tatiana Morand, Wild Apricot, November 06, 2020..
- Sample Press Release for Nonprofit Both Content and Format are Crucial by Joanne Fritz, The Balance, updated on May 30, 2019.
- How to Write a Press Release for a Nonprofit by Julia McCoy, Express Writers, Jan 11, 2017 .
- 8 Principles For Writing A Nonprofit by Meredith Janke, causevox.
- 5 Ways to Get Your Nonprofit Press Release to Stand Out, boomerang.
Another article mentions the AP style rules for the dateline, which are paraphrased here: How to Format a Press Release Dateline With AP Style by Anthony Santiago, Newswire, April 19th, 2018
The remaining tutorials are about press releases from businesses. But the same basic principles still apply.
- How to Write a Press Release by Linda Chau, September 16, 2021.
- How to Submit a Press Release, September 16, 2021.
- 10 Tips for Getting Your Pitches Read -- and Reported: How to stand out from the sea of distractions to get your message read.
- Quick & Easy Guide to Sharing Your Press Release With the World How to craft your perfect press release.
From Media College:
- How to Write a Press Release - Introduction.
- Media Contacts.
- Getting Your Press Release Published.
- What Makes a Story Newsworthy?.
- How to Write a News Story.
- How to Write a Press Release? [The Guide + Expert Comments].
- 20+ Press Release Examples to Draw Inspiration From in 2021.
Various press release how-to:
- How To Write A Press Release: 2021 Guide and Free Template - Class:PR.
- How to Write a Press Release [Free Press Release Template + Examples] by Hannah Fleishman.
Various articles about common mistakes in press releases:
- 10 Things Journalists Hate About Press Releases by Paul Murricane, LinkedIn, Jul 15, 2015.
- What Journalists Hate About PR (and More Specifically, Your Press Release) by Rudi Davis, 12 July 2016.
- 10 Things Journalists and PRs Hate About Each Other.
- Six Reasons Why the Media is Ignoring Your Press Release, Vela Agency, Jan 2, 2019.
- Why CEO press release quotes suck: Reporters hate PR quotes by Ann Wylie.
- How to stop using words journalists hate in your press releases by: Lorraine Forrest-Turner, March 16, 2021.
- 6 Reasons I Hate Press Releases by By Christina, a PR consultant who formerly worked as a TV journalist.
One important type of press release that is not mentioned in the above tutorials: A press release whose purpose is to express an opinion. For this, at least one quote is required, and is the part of the press release most likely to get used. Also the press release must be a timely response to a news story on the same topic, and must be sent to the reporter who wrote the news story. (For most mass media sources, "timely" means within 24 hours and preferably within 12 hours.)
Queens discussion group: Autistic adult peer support and self-help group that currently meets in online chat (text-based) and will eventually meet in-person again after the COVID crisis.
Where to get an ASD evaluation as an adult: This page will be expanded and updated sometime after the COVID crisis is over with.